What actually is it?..
Cryotherapy or Cold Therapy is the use of extreme cold temperatures to help heal the body. While cold therapy has been around for years, whole body cryotherapy is a recent revelation.
And the Benefits?
Here’s the top 5
- Cryotherapy helps with weight loss When we’re exposed to extreme cold temperatures, our bodies experience something called thermogenesis. This is a metabolic response that warms the body by creating more mitochondria. Our body’s tissues convert into metabolically active tissues and the increased levels of these metabolically active tissues in our bodies help our bodies burn more fat.
- Cryotherapy enhances the brain Whenever our bodies undergo extreme stress, for example when we exercise, go in a sauna, or fast, it responses on a cellular level, triggering cellular responses that exceed what is actually needed to protect itself. One of the side-effects of cold therapy is the secretion of the hormone and neurotransmitter norepinephrine which is responsible for attention, focus, vigilance, and positive mood.
Cryotherapy also increases the activity of cold-shock proteins. These specialized proteins are responsible for increasing the synthesis at the end of the dendrites in our brain cells. This helps our brain by protecting it against cognitive and behavioral issues associated with neuro-degenerative diseases.
- Cryotherapy improves athletic performance If you workout hard you know that shortly after an intense exercise, the body goes through a pro-inflammatory process. Our bodies eventually counter this with an anti-inflammatory response but when timed right, cryotherapy done just in time after an intense workout (not too soon and not too long), will yield optimal recovery benefits.
- Cryotherapy boosts the immune system Cryotherapy promotes the development of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL), which help protect our bodies against immune disorders and even cancer! This is another critical role of cryotherapy as it promotes the development of a healthy immune cell population.
- Cryotherapy helps you feel and look younger Inflammation is at the core of the aging process. Cryotherapy reduces inflammation via norepinephrine. Norepinephrine lowers the levels of tumor necrosis alpha which is a pro- inflammatory cytokine, responsible for promoting inflammation.
There are an increasing number of studies that show evidence and support the use of cryotherapy for better health and life performance. While there is no exact way to know when and how cryotherapy works best, it is wise for you to experience it for yourself.